Monday, June 5, 2017

Beauty (1 Peter 3:3-4)

"Beauty is only skin deep."
                                    -Sir Thomas Overbury

"Beauty comes from within"
                                    -unknown

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." 
                                    -Greek Proverb

"Beauty is in the eye of the BEER holder"
                                     -some drunk guy somewhere

"Pretty is as pretty does."
                                    -unknown (every Southern mom I've ever met)

We've all heard the sayings. When I was young, I remember hearing on some show that those are the things you say to ugly people. WOW! That is harsh! But I also remember being a young girl and crying because there was a boy... a boy I liked in school and he wanted to take another girl to the school dance. All I could think was "he thinks she's prettier than me." I was crushed!

But you know what, she was prettier... on the outside. She had this perfect hair, knew just how to do her makeup, she had uh... big boobs (sorry, but I'm pretty blunt, you'll learn to love it). She had all this beauty that I just didn't have. My mother (where I get my bluntness), said something like this:

"oh honey, that boy is a dumbass, that girl is a bitch and YOU my darling daughter are beautiful and better than both of them."

Isn't it funny how people views on what is "beautiful" differ so much... I wonder why that is??

Enter stage left: the Holy Bible

In 1 Peter, Chapter 3, verses 3-4 it says:

Do not let your adornment be merely outward - arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel - rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.          -NKJV

Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.        -NLT

If only I had someone to point me to this verse when I was 14. Even if they had, I wouldn't of listened but it speaks directly to those who feel inadequate in the "pretty" department. Your true beauty does dwell within. You cannot be beautiful with an ugly heart.

So, we all see beauty differently, but why??

It's not what WE see, it is what is SHOWN TO US. Others will see our beauty, IF we let them.

I have an ugly side, just mess with my kids and I'll be happy to show her to you... she's not pretty. I don't like putting that face forward, but I love my children fiercely and anyone will tell you that EVERY southern mom has a "momma bear" living within. People who've seen this side of me, probably don't think of my beauty when they think of me. They think of negative things, like anger and shouting and "crazy lady on the loose."

So, if I want others to think I am beautiful, I need to show them my beauty... not with fancy clothes, perfect hair or expensive things. No, my beauty lies in my words and actions. It does truly come from within me. I could be ugly, but that's a choice. I choose to not be ugly though. I choose to show people what is within, the gentle, caring (not sure I can do quiet) spirit I hold within my heart. You can make the choice each day as to what you show the world. Will you show them the ugly or will you show them the beauty? Choose beauty. Please, choose beauty. Your beauty is precious to God, and anything precious to Him is worth showing off to the world!

So ask yourself, are you showing others your beauty each day? Beauty isn't seen in a mirror, but in the eyes of the person looking at you.

 "The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides."                            -Audrey Hepburn

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
                                                                      -Ralph Waldo Emerson


2 comments:

  1. Very well said. I think far too often society (myself included) gets caught up in these ideas. If only we would only fall back on God's word more often. We might be showing a kinder and more beautiful existence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this. When I was 14, "beauty" meant Marilyn Monroe (including the boobs and platinum blonde hair) and definitely did NOT mean making straight As or being taller than most of the boys or wearing glasses.....you get my drift. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete